With the following awards, the European Association for Sport Management recognises outstanding contributions to its annual European Sport Management Conference in particular, and aspirational research in general.
Please note that Short Papers can only be submitted either towards the EASM Best Conference Paper Award 2018 or the ESMQ New Researcher Award 2018.
EASM Best Conference Paper Award 2018
Researchers are invited to submit a Short Paper in order to be considered for the EASM Best Paper Award 2018, which will be awarded at the conference. (Note: for some Workshops, it is mandatory to submit a Short Paper).
To be considered for the award, applicants submit a Short Paper (maximum 2,500 words; including tables/figures and captions, but excluding references) in addition to their standard Scientific Abstract (see Submission Guidelines here). The submission should be based on fresh research that is has not been published/accepted as a journal article or that is under review already.
In the first round, submissions are filtered based on the strength of the respective Scientific Abstract that is submitted simultaneously with the Short Paper. In the second round, remaining Short Papers are independently evaluated by the award committee. In the final round, the committee decides on the winner based on three shortlisted papers.
The EASM Best Conference Paper Award 2017 was awarded to Per G. Svensson (Louisiana State University) & Tara Q. Mahoney (SUNY Cortland).
2018 award committee members: Guillaume Bodet (EASM Scientific Committee and ESMQ Editorial Board representative), Tim Breitbarth (Chair EASM Scientific Committee and Malmö 2018 Scientific Committee Co-Chair), Bo Carlsson (Malmö 2018 Scientific Committee Co-Chair), Leigh Robinson (ESMQ Editorial Board representative).
ESMQ New Researcher Award (NRA) 2018
The NRA is for the best original theoretical or empirical advance and significant unpublished contribution in sport management. The research should be appropriate for presentation at the annual European Sport Management Conference and for publication in the European Sport Management Quarterly (ESMQ). To be eligible for this award, researchers must be near to completion of their PhD or have graduated less than three years prior to submission. The prize is established to stimulate dissemination of new ideas and innovative research in sport management by encouraging new researchers at the start of their career.
The author/s of the best paper will receive a prize of € 500 which has been donated by Routledge Journals. In addition, the winner will receive a complimentary one-year European Association for Sport Management (EASM) membership, which includes a free annual subscription to the ESMQ. The winner will also be invited to submit a full paper of his/her work to the ESMQ for publication, taking into account the comments and feedback of the reviewers on how the paper may be strengthened for possible publication. The normal ESMQ review process will then take place.
An expert panel will adjudicate on the award which will be weighted as follows:
- 70% will be based on the written paper
- 30% will be based on the oral presentation during the European Sport Management Conference Malmö 2018
Please note the instructions for NRA paper submissions, which is organised along a three-stage process:
- Round 1: Applicants submit both a standard Scientific Abstract and a Short Paper (maximum 2,500 words; including tables/figures and captions, but excluding references) by 20th April 2018 (see submission guidelines). In the online submission form, they should select the category “ESMQ New Researcher Award 2018“. All Abstracts and Short Papers will be reviewed. Selected candidates will be invited to participate in the following round. (This means that those candidates who have not been selected may still present their work like any regular presenter of Scientific Abstracts if reviewers find it suitable for the conference.)
- Round 2: The selected candidates submit a Full Paper adhering to ESMQ submission guidelines via ESMQ’s online submission homepage. The same reviewers will review the papers.
- Round 3: The selected candidates are invited to present their papers as part of the NRA special session at the European Sport Management Conference Malmö 2018. The presentation should not be a response to the reviews but focus on the contribution of the work to the sport management literature.
Also, please consider the following information:
- Selected candidates need to provide a statement regarding the stage of their academic career, including where appropriate, the date of graduation for their doctoral degree as “Remark/Message to the Program Committee and Chairs”.
- The research may not have been presented or published previously in scholarly outlets.
- If the paper is co-authored, a note as to the distribution of work among authors must be provided by the authors.
- PhD candidates are allowed to submit one paper per candidate to the NRA only.
The ESMQ New Researcher Award 2017 was presented to Johannes Berendt (German Sport University).
The ESMQ New Researcher Award 2018 process and panel are chaired by Jörg Königstorfer (Technische Universität München; email@example.com).
Members of the 2018 NRA panel are: Johannes Berendt (German Sport University), Veerle De Bosscher (Vrije Universiteit Brussels), Paul Downward (Loughborough University), Vassil Girginov (Brunel University), Daniel Lock (Bournemouth University), Tim Pawlowski (University of Tübingen), Simon Shibli (Sheffield Hallam University), Tracy Taylor (University of Technology Sydney).
EASM Best Conference Reviewer Award 2018
The EASM Best Conference Reviewer Award recognises outstanding dedication in providing knowledgeable reviews in a collegial spirit to promote both the development of colleagues’ work, and overall scientific quality of the conference.
The five recipients of the EASM Best Conference Reviewer Award 2017 are: Anne Bourke (University College Dublin), Alison Doherty (Western University), Thilo Kunkel (Temple University), Daniel Lock (Bournemouth University), Maximilian Stieler (University of Bayreuth).